Wednesday, June 06, 2007

 
Goodnight Sweetheart

When I first started writing this blog, Sold Everything, I didn't realize how vital to my experience it would be. But, it turned out to be just as important as applying for my visa, getting on the plane and finding myself with Matt again; my journey would not have been the same without it. I like to think that I've learned a few things in the past 15 months that I've been on the blog, this last year I've lived in England and in these three weeks that I've been back in Vancouver ... about me, my friends and life in general. So for this, my last post on Sold Everything, some final words of wisdom, Miss Ang-style.

This is what I've learned:

1. I am a driver. But ...
I am definitely not as snobbish as I once was toward public transit or walking to get where needed. Having survived a whole year without the Civic, I can now see that I was a spoiled brat when it came to driving. And I now understand that it is possible, and even good for you, to sometimes leave the car at home.

2. Brook was right.
Even though Brits and Canadians may speak the same language, this still does not make us the same. It seems so simple a concept, but I found this very difficult to come to terms with - especially when I was feeling so out of place when I'd first got to the UK. But, you know something? Thank goodness for our differences. It would most certainly be a boring world otherwise.

3. The grass will always be greener ... but only you decide if it is.
I remember being so elated when I'd made the decision to return to Canada; I couldn't wait to get back. And when I did, I was excited - but definitely not as excited as I thought I would be. I realized, after I'd been back a short while, just how many great things there are about Britain: my British peeps, Virgo, Richmond in general ... hell, I'll even include London on this list. There will always be something to miss, no matter where one ends up. I guess that's just the way.

But, the difference in missing someplace versus actually needing it, or knowing that that is where you belong, is the kind of person you are when you are there. This is home. How do I know? Because, while I am better for having left it, I didn't know that I was until I returned.

So. Thus ends the journey ... well, this part of it anyway.

Thanks for being here, for helping me survive my high school decree to one day "sell everything I own and move to a foreign country" and inspiring me to believe that anything is possible. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have.

P.S. Watch for me to resurface in e-space on another blog address soon!

Comments:
You have spoken my three favorite words in the English language -

"Brook was right"

Sweet music to my ears! Now if only the whole world would acknowledge this absolute truth...
 
Ha ha. Thought you might enjoy that! But hey, sometimes the truth must be spoken, no matter how painful ...
 
Anj... glad you're back. :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]