Saturday, March 31, 2007
Weight Gain 101
The first thing I'm going to do when I get back to Vancouver? Drop five pounds.
I'm not deluded: I know I'm not a big girl. But I stepped on a scale not long ago only to confirm (to my horror) that I was outside of my seemingly 'regular' weight fluctuation range. It's really not such a surprise to me, having spent 10 months in the UK; it is one of the most obese countries in the developed world, after all.
Don't get me wrong, though. My lifestyle is definitely a conscious decision and it's not that I haven't enjoyed putting on a few pounds. A bit of gorging in Paris, Greece, Budapest and Venice was certainly a factor, I'm sure. Nights out with the Virgo team getting wasted for free? Guinness in Brighton over St Patrick's Day? Definitely a few contributors. As was partaking in the cuisines of restaurants such as Asia de Cuba and No 5 Cavendish Square during London Restaurant Week a few weeks ago.
And, to be fair, Matt and I have spent a lot of time on the couch. Evidence of this? The first two seasons of Grey's Anatomy, all seven seasons of The West Wing, both series of My Name is Earl ... well, I'm sure you get the picture.
As for now, I'm not convinced that six and a half weeks more of my fairly inactive, somewhat decadent lifestyle will kill me. What's more is that I'm not necessarily ready to give that up. So, here's to couching, gorging and drinking until I head back to Vancouver, land of the universally - and increduously - fit.
And definitely no more clothes shopping until I get my fat ass back into the gym.
The first thing I'm going to do when I get back to Vancouver? Drop five pounds.
I'm not deluded: I know I'm not a big girl. But I stepped on a scale not long ago only to confirm (to my horror) that I was outside of my seemingly 'regular' weight fluctuation range. It's really not such a surprise to me, having spent 10 months in the UK; it is one of the most obese countries in the developed world, after all.
Don't get me wrong, though. My lifestyle is definitely a conscious decision and it's not that I haven't enjoyed putting on a few pounds. A bit of gorging in Paris, Greece, Budapest and Venice was certainly a factor, I'm sure. Nights out with the Virgo team getting wasted for free? Guinness in Brighton over St Patrick's Day? Definitely a few contributors. As was partaking in the cuisines of restaurants such as Asia de Cuba and No 5 Cavendish Square during London Restaurant Week a few weeks ago.And, to be fair, Matt and I have spent a lot of time on the couch. Evidence of this? The first two seasons of Grey's Anatomy, all seven seasons of The West Wing, both series of My Name is Earl ... well, I'm sure you get the picture.
As for now, I'm not convinced that six and a half weeks more of my fairly inactive, somewhat decadent lifestyle will kill me. What's more is that I'm not necessarily ready to give that up. So, here's to couching, gorging and drinking until I head back to Vancouver, land of the universally - and increduously - fit. And definitely no more clothes shopping until I get my fat ass back into the gym.
Comments:
<< Home
Guinness actually has less calories than a vodka and tonic. I know it's true, because the people at guinness told me so... ;)
- Matt
- Matt
You are having a problem with weight gain?? After living with you and seeing the constant eating and 3am runs to Burger King without gaining and ounce. I didn't think it was possible.lol
I know! Shocked the hell outta me also. Guess it's all just part of getting older ... boozing and burgers now come with a price. Damn it!
5 lbs from 10 months in England? I gained 10 lbs in half that time! It was all the Smirnoff Ices at the Guinness clubhouse, the fact that I could buy half price vodka from the staff shop, and all those friggin' kebabs after the pub. Oh, and the omelets from the Cricklewood Cafe, the Big Macs, the ice cream treats from Iceland, the Snowflake bars, the Walker Crisps and the Lilt. And the fish and chips...and the Sunday Roast Dinners...
MOOOOO
MOOOOO
Ah yes, Sunday roast IS a killer, and fry-ups as well. I don't know how people can actually manage to eat this way for any prolonged period of time! I mean, I know it's yummy but can you not feel the arteries closing? How about the waistline expanding? The lethargy setting in?? I mean, come ON.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

