Wednesday, January 24, 2007
A Survey, Some Snow And My Blind Date With A Gay Man
... but not in that order. The title just sounded better this way. I'm sure it'll come as no surprise to anyone but I like to work off timelines, so these stories will be told in the chronogical order in which they occurred.
Last weekend, John's roommate Steve was in town from Vancouver. And although John had told Steve lots about me, and he'd told me lots about Steve, Steve and I had never actually met.
But, the two of us wanted to meet and it turned out that one common factor between the both of us was quite more than enough. We had a lovely time and he was a blast to hang out with! Plus, it was great to just have a Canadian in town to bitch to about the British (need I remind anyone how grouchy I've been over the UK lately?).
Anyways, the few hours we spent together made me realize how badly I'd needed an objective third party to just rant to without worrying about being offensive. Let's face it - I'm not so tactless to complain about Britain to an Englishman (unless it's Matt) and am less than comfortable doing the same to the few North Americans I know (like Tizzy and Lena) because they love it here.
The blog is always a good outlet although I'm starting to realize that hitting the publish button before thinking twice or before sleeping on it means that the really dramatic posts sometimes make it to e-space. (Not that I really regret My F-Word Post, but ... well, whatever.)
Which brings me to my next point: a survey on blogging. Matt found a blog written by a professional guy living in Vancouver (see his website here) who is doing a survey on why people blog. I completed it and, in the end, was glad to have done so. It really gave me some insight as to why I bother keeping the blog in the first place - something that I just never really bothered to think of before.
For those out there who have ever had a blog or who have a blog now, check it out!
Lastly, the weather. It's been really strange lately. It went from relatively nice to crazy windy (12 deaths due to the conditions that ripped through London last week) to just plain cold. Finally, an inch of snow fell last night and, although London snow is like Vancouver snow - wet and disgusting, it was still beautiful.
I do have to give credit to the Londoners on this, the first snow day of the season. I always imagined London would come to a standstill when forced to deal with snow - after all, that's what happens in Vancouver. But although there was some trouble on the rails and roads, in my opinion, they dealt with the conditions much better than Vancouverites would. The basis for my argument? The staffers at my office said their trains were still running, commuters were still commuting and that their morning journeys were relatively disruption-free.
So. Well done London. Or ... Richmond at least, anyway.
Does this mean I plan to stay? Absolutely not. But no decisions on that front yet either. Will keep you posted.
P.S. Big shout-outs to my sister and Andrea P. today ... it's their birthdays!
... but not in that order. The title just sounded better this way. I'm sure it'll come as no surprise to anyone but I like to work off timelines, so these stories will be told in the chronogical order in which they occurred.
But, the two of us wanted to meet and it turned out that one common factor between the both of us was quite more than enough. We had a lovely time and he was a blast to hang out with! Plus, it was great to just have a Canadian in town to bitch to about the British (need I remind anyone how grouchy I've been over the UK lately?).
Anyways, the few hours we spent together made me realize how badly I'd needed an objective third party to just rant to without worrying about being offensive. Let's face it - I'm not so tactless to complain about Britain to an Englishman (unless it's Matt) and am less than comfortable doing the same to the few North Americans I know (like Tizzy and Lena) because they love it here.
The blog is always a good outlet although I'm starting to realize that hitting the publish button before thinking twice or before sleeping on it means that the really dramatic posts sometimes make it to e-space. (Not that I really regret My F-Word Post, but ... well, whatever.)
Which brings me to my next point: a survey on blogging. Matt found a blog written by a professional guy living in Vancouver (see his website here) who is doing a survey on why people blog. I completed it and, in the end, was glad to have done so. It really gave me some insight as to why I bother keeping the blog in the first place - something that I just never really bothered to think of before.
For those out there who have ever had a blog or who have a blog now, check it out!
Lastly, the weather. It's been really strange lately. It went from relatively nice to crazy windy (12 deaths due to the conditions that ripped through London last week) to just plain cold. Finally, an inch of snow fell last night and, although London snow is like Vancouver snow - wet and disgusting, it was still beautiful. I do have to give credit to the Londoners on this, the first snow day of the season. I always imagined London would come to a standstill when forced to deal with snow - after all, that's what happens in Vancouver. But although there was some trouble on the rails and roads, in my opinion, they dealt with the conditions much better than Vancouverites would. The basis for my argument? The staffers at my office said their trains were still running, commuters were still commuting and that their morning journeys were relatively disruption-free.
So. Well done London. Or ... Richmond at least, anyway.
Does this mean I plan to stay? Absolutely not. But no decisions on that front yet either. Will keep you posted.
P.S. Big shout-outs to my sister and Andrea P. today ... it's their birthdays!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]