Thursday, November 09, 2006

 
Ranting and Raving, Cranky and Craving

This isn't going to be some bitch-fest about how I'm feeling dissatisfied about my life and how I really wish I could be back in Vancouver right now ... is it?

I read a lot of industry publications these days. I believe it was an article in PR Week but I read somewhere that if a new graduate wanted to really put on the dog and show potential employers what he or she was capable of, it proposed that that person should write a blog. Apparently, a blog is a way to showcase that a person can write and keep up with what's in the news.

I may be able to string together a few sentences now and again, but I don't think my 'current issues' are exactly what PROs want to read.

Oh, to hell with it. It's my blog, I'll do want I want.

Ranting One
Mold, my friends, is so not cool. It disrupts your allergies, grows where it shouldn't and is just plain gross.

We still have mold in the flat. Our landlord is bringing in an industrial dehumidifier and has given us some bleach-based mold cleaner. Others may withhold rent, but not us. Why? Because we think he's a nice guy and is genuinely concerned.

Shmucks? Possibly.

Raving One
Having mold but living - and working - in Richmond causes problems. Richmond is a nice London borough, one where it's pleasant to walk around, there's plenty of green space and you're along the river, for Pete's sake. That's definitely something.

The problem is that once your flat becomes somewhat unsatisfactory, and you flat hunt a bit just to put the feelers out there, you discover that the commute is a hassle, walking great distances is a pain in the ass ... and you're just not guaranteed to be moving into a flat that really is mold-free. This is damp and dirty England, after all. Bollocks.

Cranky One
As you can well imagine, annoying, constant allergies do not make for a happy Miss Ang. I'm surprised that Matt and I are still together. Man's got tolerance, let me tell you.

Craving One
And I'm sure you can well appreciate, that moving from mold-free Burnaby to mold-excessive Richmond-upon-Thames made me wonder if I really did have it good there for awhile. Like, what the hell was I thinking coming out here??

Ranting Two
In Canada, the most expensive place I rented was probably my place in Burnaby at $575 a month. But, this included all my bills and I had free use of a washer and dryer. Very cool.

In England, after converting, I pay 15% more than what I once paid, on top of which I pay the equivalent of about $200 in bills each month - and I have to share a place with two smelly boys! (Okay, they're not actually smelly. I just wanted to over-dramatize a bit.)

Raving Two
Why the f*ck is it so Godd*mn expensive here?? Frickin' Brits.

Cranky Two
Finances really restrict a person's ability to find a nice, suitable, mold-free place. In fact, there's no way that Matt and I could afford to live in Richmond if we didn't have a Neil to back us up.

Speaking of Neil, he'll be moving out soon. No idea what we're doing yet once he does, but thanks for asking.

Craving Two
Oh, to be back in Vancouver again where housing is ever so affordable! Wait a sec ...

Ranting Three
"Let's go out." "Okay. Where do you want to go?" "The Leaf? How about this great place I know by London Bridge? Or why don't we visit Tizzy in east London?"

The process to go out in London consists of walking, a train, likely walking again, a tube, more walking. And then, of course, it's the same on the way home ... have I ever mentioned how much I hate walking?

Raving Three
Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets: "I'm using the word 'hate' ... about pills."

Angie Natingor, This Is Crap: "I'm using the word 'hate' ... about walking."

It's much better if said out loud. Go and rent the movie and watch it again, just so you get my full meaning.

Cranky Three
Matt's told a few people about our grocery trip experiences: "She'll be perfectly happy before we get to the store - bouncing around and bubbly. By the time we get home, she just doesn't speak."

Um, have I mentioned how much I hate walking?

By the way, we've solved the walking home from the grocery store problem by shopping Tesco online: "You shop. We drop." It may be a bit pricey, but man, does it ever save us a lot of headache.

Craving Three
My kingdom for a car! I pray that my Civic will still be functional when I return. Oh baby, how I miss you!

Alright. Enough now, before y'all start thinking that I absolutely hate it here. Which, I'll be honest, sometimes I do. But (and here comes the part where I try to appreciate what I do have) it's got its good points too ...

Living so near to river-side lounges where I can sit by a window, drink in hand, and watch the red buses drive over Richmond Bridge;

The doubling of my money when I can actually send some home;

And marveling over the twinkly new Christmas lights along Oxford Street. Makes the strolling a bit easier to stomach.

Current issues? How's about I just get over it all.

Comments:
Hey there...whining about walking in LONDON?? Yes, it does suck. Yes, I remember how much I hated having to plan how I was going to get somewhere and consult the A to Z instead of just jumping in my car. However, dude, you're in LONDON! At any time, you can go to Harrods, the good H & M on Kensington High Street, a plethora of great pubs, trip over celebs, and be close enough to the continent to go to PARIS for the weekend. You wanna know where I went this weekend?? BELLINGHAM. Not PARIS, BELLINGHAM! Just buggin' ya. I hear ya on the car thing and the walking thing and the housing thing. London's a nightmare for those things. But, it's LONDON!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]