Wednesday, July 05, 2006
The Grateful Live
One day recently, I was walking to work and realized something … I was enjoying my walk to work.
You’d think this wouldn’t be such a big deal but at a time where I felt like I had nothing positive going on it was a lovely, welcome respite.
Every now and then I isolate myself, happy to get my complex-on, satisfied with sitting silent in front of the television or with a book. You know that saying, 'If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all'? I can basically become a mute.
This, of course, got me thinking. I realized that I become very negative when I feel things aren’t going 'my way' … and I know this is not just me. Why does this happen to us? Where, if something is less than perfect, we feel as if the world is against us and nothing can go right?
The same questions tend to replay themselves in our minds, over and over again: Why can’t my partner be more helpful? Or, why am I still alone? Why can’t my job be more fulfilling? Why don’t I make as much as that person does? Why can’t I be in better shape? Why, why, why?
I have the answers. It’s because God hates you and is out to get you. That’s right – you and no one else. Because your life is shit and everything you do is shit and everything is wrong with you. Because you can’t do anything right and you’re a complete idiot.
That’s it ... isn’t it?
As human beings, why do we constantly feel the need to view life as a personal assault whenever something goes wrong? Do we seriously think we’re so important that there’s some greater force out to get us? That life’s got its own personal score to settle? Things really aren’t as big as they seem but yet somehow, they always appear to be so.
Listen up, people. It’s not about you. It’s not about me. The world revolves around no one. Life is not perfect.
Get over it.
Sarah R. (and Oprah too, I’m sure) has this technique where each day she thinks of at least five things she’s grateful for. Theory is, that when you start being grateful for the things you have, you naturally get more out of it – out of the simple act of being grateful.
I am the last person to push happiness onto anyone who would rather be miserable but you know something? She was absolutely right.
I’m not saying that it’s possible to be 100% happy, 100% of the time but it is certainly possible to appreciate. We are unquestionably given more than enough opportunities to enjoy the things we have and to stop pining over the things we don’t – so I don’t think we should be wasting them. Life is definitely too short and let’s face it … whining just gets annoying.
As for me, I may not yet feel comfortable being in England but I feel I get closer every day – and I couldn’t be more grateful.
One day recently, I was walking to work and realized something … I was enjoying my walk to work.
You’d think this wouldn’t be such a big deal but at a time where I felt like I had nothing positive going on it was a lovely, welcome respite.
Every now and then I isolate myself, happy to get my complex-on, satisfied with sitting silent in front of the television or with a book. You know that saying, 'If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all'? I can basically become a mute.
This, of course, got me thinking. I realized that I become very negative when I feel things aren’t going 'my way' … and I know this is not just me. Why does this happen to us? Where, if something is less than perfect, we feel as if the world is against us and nothing can go right? The same questions tend to replay themselves in our minds, over and over again: Why can’t my partner be more helpful? Or, why am I still alone? Why can’t my job be more fulfilling? Why don’t I make as much as that person does? Why can’t I be in better shape? Why, why, why?
I have the answers. It’s because God hates you and is out to get you. That’s right – you and no one else. Because your life is shit and everything you do is shit and everything is wrong with you. Because you can’t do anything right and you’re a complete idiot.
That’s it ... isn’t it?
As human beings, why do we constantly feel the need to view life as a personal assault whenever something goes wrong? Do we seriously think we’re so important that there’s some greater force out to get us? That life’s got its own personal score to settle? Things really aren’t as big as they seem but yet somehow, they always appear to be so.
Listen up, people. It’s not about you. It’s not about me. The world revolves around no one. Life is not perfect.
Get over it.
Sarah R. (and Oprah too, I’m sure) has this technique where each day she thinks of at least five things she’s grateful for. Theory is, that when you start being grateful for the things you have, you naturally get more out of it – out of the simple act of being grateful.
I am the last person to push happiness onto anyone who would rather be miserable but you know something? She was absolutely right.
I’m not saying that it’s possible to be 100% happy, 100% of the time but it is certainly possible to appreciate. We are unquestionably given more than enough opportunities to enjoy the things we have and to stop pining over the things we don’t – so I don’t think we should be wasting them. Life is definitely too short and let’s face it … whining just gets annoying.As for me, I may not yet feel comfortable being in England but I feel I get closer every day – and I couldn’t be more grateful.
Comments:
<< Home
Great point Angie....and I think I needed that. Love ya!
P.S-you are right..I should have called you.
P.S-you are right..I should have called you.
Dude, no worries. Just remember ... time difference? Ain't no thang!
And I think law school is highly overrated anyway - but you knew that, didn't you?
And I think law school is highly overrated anyway - but you knew that, didn't you?
AMEN SISTER!
For many people, it is way easier to bitch and moan about their problems than fix them, or realize that they really aren't problems.
It's all about the half-full, people.
For many people, it is way easier to bitch and moan about their problems than fix them, or realize that they really aren't problems.
It's all about the half-full, people.
I am grateful for best friends. Even if they are living way to far away. Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the blog
I'm grateful to have a friend's blogger to read as an excuse to stop studying. :) Sorry I haven't really been keeping in touch but I hope ur doing well, Angie (leaky roof experience and all). Congrats on the 1 year - Paris sounds like a romanticist's dream come true.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

