Monday, May 08, 2006
Last Days: Vancouver
Man, I love Vancouver. It may have taken three years and having to leave it in order for me to come to that realization, but I really do.
I had glimpses of that attitude all along, but it really hit me the last night I was in town. Part of it was definitely the sunset I saw at English Bay – but the clincher? Driving over the Lions Gate Bridge. Clear skies, water, the city view … every time I’m on that bridge I say to myself, “Why would anyone want to live anywhere else?”
As Yann Martel puts it, in Life of Pi: people move in the hope of a better life. While this definitely holds true for me in this hour, I know I will be back in Vancouver for the next.
Honourable mentions for my last days in town go to hanging with my nephews, The Cambie with the Rosenthal girls, various outings with the Synovaters, dinner with the BCIT girls at Subeez, brunch with my Talking Dog buddy Al, partying in Abbotsford with Jodi, all-you-can-eat sushi with Alyssa at Tanpopo, BC Burgers at White Spot with Eugene … and the shot glass pyramid I built with the BBAers at the Yaletown Brew Pub.
I had such a great time and saw so many people I’d been meaning to see for months that I realized just how much I’ve taken my family and friends for granted; I think most of us are guilty of this in some way. We think that these people will always be there and so we don’t take advantage of the opportunities we have to spend time with them. But in the last few weeks I was in town, there were significant efforts on all parts to get together and enjoy each others’ company while we still could.
Wouldn’t it be great if it could always be that way, where we all appreciate each other as much as we possibly can?
We all have responsibilities. While things still need to get done, life really is about balance and not placing so much emphasis on certain things that the people we care about end up getting lost in the shuffle.
So. To my family and friends – I love you guys. Don’t ever forget it.
And to Vancouver? See you in the next chapter.
Man, I love Vancouver. It may have taken three years and having to leave it in order for me to come to that realization, but I really do.
I had glimpses of that attitude all along, but it really hit me the last night I was in town. Part of it was definitely the sunset I saw at English Bay – but the clincher? Driving over the Lions Gate Bridge. Clear skies, water, the city view … every time I’m on that bridge I say to myself, “Why would anyone want to live anywhere else?”
As Yann Martel puts it, in Life of Pi: people move in the hope of a better life. While this definitely holds true for me in this hour, I know I will be back in Vancouver for the next.
Honourable mentions for my last days in town go to hanging with my nephews, The Cambie with the Rosenthal girls, various outings with the Synovaters, dinner with the BCIT girls at Subeez, brunch with my Talking Dog buddy Al, partying in Abbotsford with Jodi, all-you-can-eat sushi with Alyssa at Tanpopo, BC Burgers at White Spot with Eugene … and the shot glass pyramid I built with the BBAers at the Yaletown Brew Pub.I had such a great time and saw so many people I’d been meaning to see for months that I realized just how much I’ve taken my family and friends for granted; I think most of us are guilty of this in some way. We think that these people will always be there and so we don’t take advantage of the opportunities we have to spend time with them. But in the last few weeks I was in town, there were significant efforts on all parts to get together and enjoy each others’ company while we still could.
Wouldn’t it be great if it could always be that way, where we all appreciate each other as much as we possibly can?
We all have responsibilities. While things still need to get done, life really is about balance and not placing so much emphasis on certain things that the people we care about end up getting lost in the shuffle.
So. To my family and friends – I love you guys. Don’t ever forget it.
And to Vancouver? See you in the next chapter.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]