Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 
Homesick But Still Kickin' It

It may have taken four days for me to start feeling aimless but it was exactly three weeks before I got homesick.

The lead up to it appeared to be fairly uneventful. I mean, there was no pining for Granville Island beer, no unreserved desperation to go for sushi, no yearning to sit on the patio at Sandbar.

I had nothing to warn me … or did I?


There was some excitement last week when my job offer from Virgo came through the mail slot; that was Wednesday. I spent a quiet Thursday afternoon wandering around the Tower of London, checked out St. Katharine’s Dock and took a few pictures from Tower Bridge.


But then I decided to stay in on Friday night. What was my alternative? Going out with Matt to meet a few of his friends in Kingston for dinner.

Why did I stay home?

On Saturday it hit me. I just did not have the energy to meet anyone else new. While Matt’s friends are all great … they’re not my friends, you know? For example, if I get really bored I can't just call up Sarah R. and go to the Cambie or hang out with my Synovate buddies or just ditch Matt and go for dinner with the BCIT girls or freeload off my siblings.

I miss my Canadian peeps.

But it doesn’t stop there. I miss my Canadian stuff, my Canadian sports (go Oilers go!), my Canadian traffic, my Canadian weather, my Canadian food.

Once again, tough shit for me.


I was pretty sad on Saturday but I’m much better now. The way I see it, I’m with my guy. I’m starting a great job next week. And England is a nice country full of nice people. It’s only right to give it all a fair chance.



One of the boats at the lock at St. Katharine's Dock








Two distinct London landmarks, the Gherkin and the Tower of London, as seen from Tower Bridge (above)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]