Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Welcome To The Late Twenties
The early career stages? Buying a house? Maybe even starting that family? None of the above, actually.
There's this book called Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties. On my friend Rahil's recommendation I picked it up about two years ago only to question where the f*%k was this book when I turned 19 years old, moved back to Saskatchewan and had no idea who I was or what I wanted to do anymore?
I was infuriated at my lack of timing.
But yet somehow, there seems to be a bit of a phenomenon. While this was the first book to document the so-called quarterlife crisis, more have come out of the woodwork. I've even seen forwards about this make the trip around e-space.
While many of my very good friends are focused on their careers or are busy starting young families, many more are not. In fact, a lot of them are just like me. While families and careers remain important, they've been pushed back to later years. The focus has become looking for that dare to be great situation rather than just accepting the cards you've been dealt. There's greater flexibility and opportunity now to stay in post-secondary and graduate programs, change careers or even just travel.
Even though I struggled greatly with my identity while in my early and mid-twenties, eventually I realized that some things are not worth worrying so much about. This generation is much, much different that the one that's come before it, and the ideals that held up 20 (or even 10) years ago have shifted.
Although my house-buying fund has dwindled because I've stayed in school much longer than originally intended ...
Although I'm still not sure if I ever want to have kids or join the PTA ...
And although my focus is on the fact that there is now only 30 days to go before I arrive in London rather than downloading the latest recipes from Betty Crocker or Company's Coming ...
Would I have it any other way? Hell, no!
Late twenties? Bring it on!
The early career stages? Buying a house? Maybe even starting that family? None of the above, actually.
There's this book called Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties. On my friend Rahil's recommendation I picked it up about two years ago only to question where the f*%k was this book when I turned 19 years old, moved back to Saskatchewan and had no idea who I was or what I wanted to do anymore?I was infuriated at my lack of timing.
But yet somehow, there seems to be a bit of a phenomenon. While this was the first book to document the so-called quarterlife crisis, more have come out of the woodwork. I've even seen forwards about this make the trip around e-space.
While many of my very good friends are focused on their careers or are busy starting young families, many more are not. In fact, a lot of them are just like me. While families and careers remain important, they've been pushed back to later years. The focus has become looking for that dare to be great situation rather than just accepting the cards you've been dealt. There's greater flexibility and opportunity now to stay in post-secondary and graduate programs, change careers or even just travel.
Even though I struggled greatly with my identity while in my early and mid-twenties, eventually I realized that some things are not worth worrying so much about. This generation is much, much different that the one that's come before it, and the ideals that held up 20 (or even 10) years ago have shifted.
Although my house-buying fund has dwindled because I've stayed in school much longer than originally intended ...
Although I'm still not sure if I ever want to have kids or join the PTA ...
And although my focus is on the fact that there is now only 30 days to go before I arrive in London rather than downloading the latest recipes from Betty Crocker or Company's Coming ...
Would I have it any other way? Hell, no!
Late twenties? Bring it on!
Comments:
<< Home
I love that you are just now getting over your quarter life crisis. I myself experienced some growing pains. Glad to see you are accepting your late twenties. Only problem is that 30 will be here before ya know it. Then we can really relate to Sex and the City!
30? Don't even say it! That's okay ... at least we aren't pushing 40, unlike some people (or siblings).
Sorry, damn reality always comes back to bite ya in the ass. (Unless your on something really good....you never know now that you live in B.C.)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

