Monday, April 10, 2006

 
Risk Versus Reward

Dedicated to my fellow BBAers, who understand more about valuation now than they ever did ... and to John, who will know why.

This, my friends – is about faith.

I am certainly not one of the proponents of faith. In fact, I am probably more cynical than I am optimistic. I had my own personal faith shake-up years ago and although I may have learned from that experience, for years I questioned what it did to my ability to believe in myself and the choices I was making.

As I get older, I find I have a tendency to become much more conservative (yes, this coming from the girl who is selling her worldly possessions to move to another country). But isn’t this true of most of us? We start asking ourselves, how much risk am I prepared to take? Can I afford to be wrong?

We tend to be more careful, tread more cautiously and stay in rather than go out. We simulate scenarios in an effort to plan for change. We develop predictive models but perhaps that which we plan for cannot be controlled.

I was studying for my Strategic Management final when all this stuff about risk versus reward hit me. Why on earth do we do this?

Here’s my point. Once we figure something out – we can never go back. I know that Santa Claus isn’t real and that the tooth fairy doesn’t exist, but has this knowledge really helped me grow as a person?

I think that although we may learn more as we get older, we also get to newer and greater levels of cynicism. We start to doubt not only others but also ourselves with each disappointment we’re left with or each person we feel has let us down. And as a result, we experience greater apprehension when it comes to taking chances, no matter how big or small they may be.

In business, it’s important to analyze the risk factor. But in our personal lives, have we become too concerned with quantifying “high risk” or “large investment"? Why do we feel it’s necessary to derive all possible outcome scenarios before we make any decisions? Maybe we’ve forgotten what it’s like to just use our intuition or trust our gut. Or maybe we’ve just become plain scared when it comes to taking leaps of faith.

A lot of questions, a lot of maybes.

When I speak of faith I’m not talking about religion and when I mention risk it’s certainly not about business. This is about life and how we live it, the value we place in our decisions and how they should come from within – not from without.

I know there can be extenuating factors. Certainly, when you meet that special someone, buy that house, max out your line of credit, get stuck in that job, become responsible for the lives of small children, etcetera … things change. But that’s not what I’m talking about here. This is not about being reckless or irresponsible or letting go of the things we value. In fact, it’s the complete opposite. By throwing some caution to the wind, riding that wave – or just believing in ourselves – do we not gain so much more than if we never took that chance?

I may not feel like I have a great deal of faith and I may question more than I ought but one thing I am certain of is that I don’t ever want to look back with regret or feel unsatisfied about the way I lived my life.

I’ve bet big, and I’ve lost big. But if nothing else, I believe in my odds. There’s a huge payoff out there and, as certain as the BBA program at BCIT is long, I believe that someday I’ll win big, too.

Maybe I already have.

Comments:
A-NAT!

So after weeks and weeks of endless case studies, reports, presentations, and hours at the library studying, I'm glad that I'm FINALLY able to leave a comment on ur blog :)

Although I'm SoOo relieved that we're done school and finally through with all of our weekend meetings, I am sad we'll never be able to procrastinate at our meetings... with u and ur double double from Tim Hortons..rolling up ur rim (to win) and googling what a tossed salad/strawberry shortcake is. haha.. Anyways, it's been so good to work and get to know u Ang :) Hope ur London experience far exceeds ur greatest expectations!

By the way, this is my new favourite entry.. very Sex and the City.. very enjoyable... and very very relatable :) Don't forget to keep in touch..
 
Lhean!!

What a great comment! While I'm also glad that school is over (thank GOD school is over) I, too, will definitely miss procrastinating at meetings, chanting "Yu - Hao - Lee!" and entertaining Brandon's perviness. Team YEAB, all the way!

Keep reading the blog! I promise to keep in touch!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]