Sunday, March 12, 2006
The Long And Short Of It All
For those who have known me a long time, most are aware of my high school decree to one day "sell everything I own and move to a foreign country".
It may have taken almost 10 years, but the time has finally come.
Since I'm graduating from my degree program, don't have a job and have a guy who had to go back to Britain I figured this was as good a time as any to just do it ... take off to London, England for awhile and then eventually return to Vancouver.
The past few weeks have been pretty hectic. My British guy, Matt Boulton, was previously on a work contract in Vancouver but had to return to England. Amidst helping him get rid of the stuff in his apartment, his eventual leaving and the ensuing emotional distress, I got "laid off" from my market research job and then was thrown into midterm week.
But, that's past now and all that's left is roughly 30 days till the end of the semester, personal items to sell and store and a flight to book.
Truth be told, London may not be the hardest place to move to. Thanks to many friends who have either lived there or are living there now (Jen Sutherland, Brook Thalgott, Paul Burch, Terry Selinger) I've obtained lots of good advice on what I need to do, how to find a job, how to find a place, etc. Plus, it doesn't hurt having a local plying me with the 4-1-1, either.
What's next?
I'm planning to give up my place in Burnaby as of May 1. I'm done final exams on April 13 and then my best friend will be in town to visit for a few days. I'll deal with selling and storing my stuff after she leaves then I'll crash either at my sister's or brother's place for a few days before I fly out.
The plan is to come back eventually, probably in a year or so. But for now, I want to go for the experience ... and just 'cause I can.
I attribute it to my no-responsibilities-no-better-time-to-do-it-can-always-come-back rationale. After all, nearly 10 years have passed and it's still going strong.
For those who have known me a long time, most are aware of my high school decree to one day "sell everything I own and move to a foreign country".
It may have taken almost 10 years, but the time has finally come.
Since I'm graduating from my degree program, don't have a job and have a guy who had to go back to Britain I figured this was as good a time as any to just do it ... take off to London, England for awhile and then eventually return to Vancouver.
The past few weeks have been pretty hectic. My British guy, Matt Boulton, was previously on a work contract in Vancouver but had to return to England. Amidst helping him get rid of the stuff in his apartment, his eventual leaving and the ensuing emotional distress, I got "laid off" from my market research job and then was thrown into midterm week. But, that's past now and all that's left is roughly 30 days till the end of the semester, personal items to sell and store and a flight to book.
Truth be told, London may not be the hardest place to move to. Thanks to many friends who have either lived there or are living there now (Jen Sutherland, Brook Thalgott, Paul Burch, Terry Selinger) I've obtained lots of good advice on what I need to do, how to find a job, how to find a place, etc. Plus, it doesn't hurt having a local plying me with the 4-1-1, either.
What's next?
I'm planning to give up my place in Burnaby as of May 1. I'm done final exams on April 13 and then my best friend will be in town to visit for a few days. I'll deal with selling and storing my stuff after she leaves then I'll crash either at my sister's or brother's place for a few days before I fly out.
The plan is to come back eventually, probably in a year or so. But for now, I want to go for the experience ... and just 'cause I can.
I attribute it to my no-responsibilities-no-better-time-to-do-it-can-always-come-back rationale. After all, nearly 10 years have passed and it's still going strong.
Comments:
<< Home
I figured I better put in a comment cause you didn't have any and that doesn't look good so now you have one
I have a comment. Packing up your shit and moving to London with no job is the most liberating thing you can do. Trust me - I did it. ; )
See you in May at Finnegan's Wake -Ealing's best Irish pub.
See you in May at Finnegan's Wake -Ealing's best Irish pub.
You go girl!
Indeed, it is truly liberating.
It is just like starting over.
For today, you are my hero.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Dean
Indeed, it is truly liberating.
It is just like starting over.
For today, you are my hero.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Dean
Hey Angie, congrats on officially becoming an e-nerd. You must have been hanging out with Yu-Hao a lot this semester or something. Good luck and see you in the UK.
PS. Matt if you're reading this, you could do better. JK.
PS. Matt if you're reading this, you could do better. JK.
I'm conflicted ...
Brandon, I know I told you to post to my blog, but c'mon now! I can't believe you compared me to Yu-Hao. Oh, geez.
(You kid 'cause you love, right?)
See you in the UK!
... and Yu-Hao - you're my e-geek hero.
Brandon, I know I told you to post to my blog, but c'mon now! I can't believe you compared me to Yu-Hao. Oh, geez.
(You kid 'cause you love, right?)
See you in the UK!
... and Yu-Hao - you're my e-geek hero.
Angie, if anyone ever tells you you're crazy for just packing your stuff and flying off to London, you can tell them them that you know someone who once didn't pack ANYTHING, flew to Turkey with NO plans, and ended up living in 4 different countries and riding camels and stuff, before coming back home 3 years later married and with two cats. Being a Gypsy is great - welcome to the club! :)
Promise you'll bring me a camel? That, or let us crash when we get enough air miles to come see you.
Big, big hugs
Jenkew
Post a Comment
Big, big hugs
Jenkew
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

